Thursday, September 8, 2011

Bittersweet

So, last week my little man, Carter Hudson Beck, started preschool. And no, I wasn't the mom that stood outside the door crying and saying "I can't believe my baby is starting preschool.....". But, I was the mom that confidently walked to her car with a big grin on her face and a happy dampness in her eyes thinking how proud she was and how excited she was because he was so happy and excited. I won't lie though....it does take you down memory lane and makes you realize how bittersweet time is and how quickly the days and years pass by. It seems like a blink ago we were meeting him for the very first time and instantly falling madly in love with the little booger. The past 2.5 years have not always been easy, and he has been and still is challenging at times, but I heard a quote the other day that really does put it all in perspective - sometimes the day will seem like years but the years always go by in a second. And it's so true. There are nights that I'm all but begging Carter to just go to sleep....and then when he's peacefully sleeping (drooling), snuggled up to me on the couch, all I want to do is freeze him in time and for him to never grow up! I am truly blessed to be the mom of such a beautiful healthy child, with a loving heart, quick whit and hilarious sense of humor who never ceases to amaze me. Every time he uses a new word, phrase or sentence correctly, figures out what a hexagon is, etc. I stand in awe at how amazing the process of us being tiny dependent babies, becoming little people and then maturing into grown men and women really is. How we just learn things. And get things. And figure things out. Develop what we like and dislike. Just amazing. And so my prayer is that I never get too caught up in the craziness of life and the stresses of the day that I forget to tell Rob and Carter how much I love them ("more than all the fishes in the sea, and all the stars in the sky, and all the sand on the beach, and all the leaves on the trees....and that's a lot!") before we go our ways in the morning, or get my "mama kiss" from Carter as soon as I walk in the door each afternoon, or read him a book, or play in the yard...... Because time really does fly by. And you can't get back yesterday. Every day deserves to be treasured. And hopefully, if I play my cards right, Carter will like me and love me enough say I'm his girlfriend forever! :P



"Life's not about the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away"




No comments: